Many of these food facts will blow your mind. By the end of this blog post, I guarantee you will learn something useful, and shocking, about the food you eat everyday.
1. This is what’s really going on inside a Cup O’ Noodles:
2. One fast food hamburger may contain meat from 100 different cows.
3. Store bought 100% “real” orange juice is 100% artificially flavored.
4. A Cinnabon® Classic has less sugar than a 20-oz. bottle of Pepsi.
5. Castoreum, which is used as vanilla flavoring in candies, baked goods, etc., is actually a secretion from the anal glands of beavers.
6. The red food-coloring carmine — used in Skittles and other candies — is made from boiled cochineal bugs, a type of beetle.
7. Pringles once had a lawsuit trying to prove that they weren’t really potato chips.
8. Most wasabi consumed is not real wasabi, but colored horseradish.
9. Consuming dairy may cause acne.
10. For years, Subway’s “footlong” subs were a big, 11-inch LIE.
Subway promised to make things right, but you should probably always measure, just in case.
11. Central Appalachia’s tooth decay problem is referred to as Mountain Dew mouth, due to the beverage’s popularity in the region.
12. Apples belong to the rose family, as do pears and plums.
13. Supposedly discontinued Oreo O’s DO still exist — but only in South Korea.
14. The serving size for Nacho Cheese Doritos is just 11 chips. ELEVEN.
15. Grape-Nuts don’t involve anything related to grapes OR nuts.
Ingredients: whole grain wheat flour, malted barley flour, isolated soy protein, salt, whole grain barley flour, malt extract, dried yeast. So why are they called that? No one knows! Guess they just felt like LYING.
16. German chocolate cake doesn’t have anything to do with Germany.
17. The five-second rule is, tragically, baloney.
Five seconds is plenty of time for those germies to get all up in there.
18. Carrots don’t actually make your eyesight better.
19. Baby carrots are just adult carrots that have been shaved down to nubbins.
20. About 70% of olive oil being sold is not actually pure olive oil.
21. Casu Marzu is a cheese found in Sardinia that is purposely infested with maggots.
22. So-called “Double Stuf” Oreos only contain 1.86 times the stuffing.
23. To make jelly beans shiny, shellac is used, which is made from Kerria lacca insect excretions.
24. Ranch dressing contains titanium dioxide, which is used to make it appear whiter. The same ingredient is used in sunscreen and paint for the same effect.
25. Cap’n Crunch is not, in fact, a captain.
The three stripes on his uniform clearly reveal him to be a Navy commander, not a captain. The Cap’n has addressed these concerns, but something still smells fishy about the whole thing.
26. No matter what color Fruit Loop you eat, they all taste the same.
27. Eating bananas can help fight depression.
28. Honey is made from nectar and bee vomit.
So the cookies are slightly different and are sold under different names. (Samoas vs. Caramel De-Lites, etc.)
30. One of the most hydrating foods to eat is the cucumber, which is 96% water.
If you learned something new, share these food facts and trivia with your friends so that they know too!